Saturday, July 20, 2013

Meet Tasha

Meet Tasha

Why did I decide to intern at Shopping for a Change?


Hello, my name is Tasha. I am a rising senior and an intern at Shopping for a Change this summer. The internship popped out to me when I was perusing the internships available on my school website. I immediately loved SFAC for the unique combination of fashion and philanthropy, but above all the company appealed to me because of its ability to bring this massive world we live in that much closer together. It unites women across the world. When purchasing an item in the comfort of your own home you can make a direct impact on a woman working across the globe in Africa, Asia, South America, really anywhere. I love travelling and experiencing new cultures. However, one of the thing that always shocks me while travelling is the poverty that I see in these countries that is unequalled in my local community. I have walked around a one room house in rural Peru where a woman supports a household of six, the Sowetos in South Africa, and a floating village in Cambodia where the houses are subject to floods every 10 months and have no running fresh water. In all the places the poverty is so tangible and I go around trying to think of ways that a sixteen-year-old like me can make a difference from my small home town. SFAC gives me a chance to help out Stacey Horowitz, who consequently helps out these women across the world rise out of poverty through fair trade. Hopefully this is stepping stone in the future of my work helping out our international community.


Favorite Item of Clothing?

If bracelets count as items of clothing, then I love bracelets. :) I try to purchase a bracelet from every location I visit and whenever I wear them I instantaneously get to remember the location that I purchased that bracelet from. If bracelets don’t count as a piece of clothing, then I would have to say leggings. They are the sneakiest clothing items. They are as comfortable as sweat pants, but can be made fashionable at the same time.

Favorite Gemstone?

Emerald! They are green and gorgeous!

My Fondest Travelling Memory?

I was visiting Peru with my family, when one evening after much arguing on mine and my sisters behalf my parents agreed to get up at 4:30 am to go to Machu Picchu to see the sunrise. We woke up with a great deal of effort and then had to wait in line for a bus for 45 minutes. We got on the buses that takes you to the top of the mountain and after 30 minute we were finally at the top. Then my sisters and I all sat down on one of the terraces and watched the sunrise over Machu Picchu. The sun crept over the jagged mountain tops as we sat at 7,972 feet above sea level admiring the combination of natures and human made beauty. It was unforgettable and well worth the argument the night before that convinced my parents that waking up that early was a necessity.

No comments:

Post a Comment