Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Meet Jessica



Meet Jessica
Why did I decide to intern at Shopping for a Change?
Heading towards my senior year of high school, I’ve collected a long list of internships and office work to put in my back pocket. I spent my summers typing away in company cubicles and working behind counters in various offices. Although I continue to appreciate the knowledge I’ve gained from these experiences, I wanted to do something different the summer before my final year of high school. I had talked to people who had interned at Shopping for a Change previously and decided to give it a try. On my first day, I went up to
Stacey’s (my employer) house and rang the doorbell. While I had at first tried to act overly formal and mature like I've had to do in my other internships, my job at SFAC turned out to be casual and more enjoyable than I had ever expected. After only one month of working here, I can now honestly say that I’m learning and making more of a difference than I ever had at any other internship I’ve been in. When I think back on my summer internship memories, I will most likely remember the delicious cheese and cracker platters, Stacey’s two energetic dogs, and having fun collaborating with the other interns.
Where have you always wanted to go?
Australia. When I was a kid my favorite animal was a kangaroo and I had always wanted to see one up close (especially if it was boxing). I would also like to see other exotic animals that live in Australia and see how the lifestyle is there.
Favorite flower?
I don’t really know the names of too many flowers, but I would say lilies.
Nicest thing someone has done for you?
For my birthday, my friend sewed for me an entire sock monkey stuffed animal herself out of pieces of colorful socks that she had. It looked so finished and professional that I assumed she had bought it from a toy store before she told me she made it herself. 
Favorite item of clothing?
I like sweats, converse, and striped sweaters.
Favorite Gem?
Sapphire, in honor of my first Pokémon Gameboy Chip.
Fondest travel memory?
I’ve been to Las Vegas more than 20 times in my life. My grandfather enjoyed gambling there so we always went with him on short family trips. It gave me time to hang out with my older sister and my cousin. Because we weren’t able to gamble, we found many other ways to amuse ourselves. There’s something about watching SpongeBob for hours in a bathroom and building huge pillow forts that makes very fond memories. 



No comments:

Post a Comment