Sunday, August 18, 2013



A Fresh Breath in Bandipur, Nepal
By: Sneha


A stunning view of the Himalaya Mountains from Bandipur
I was born in Kathmandu Nepal, and moved to the United States when I was eight. Every time I go back to visit, I return having learned something new about my home country, and about myself. The one place I always look forward to visiting is my family’s ancestral village of Bandipur. It is a medieval village perched atop a hillside with spectacular views of the Himalaya Mountains. In the summers, the monsoon clouds and mist transform it into a lush and green wonderland. In the winters,the hillsides are colorfully dotted with rows of orange trees and bright yellow mustard flowers. 
The Children of Bandipur

All year long, there are children running through the narrow slate-covered roads on their way to and back from school, followed closely by barking dogs.  Some children walk two hours each way to attend one of the two schools in the village. Many of them live in huts with no electricity or running water.  I remember being delighted by their quick wit and humor and humbled by the joy with which they live their lives despite having so little. A friend of mine articulated, “When I went to Nepal, I thought I would be seeing lots of poor children who needed my help; only when I arrived and met these children did I realize that I was the one who was poor, and they were the ones who could teach me about how to live without wants and show me how to be grateful for the many, many things I already have”. 

Nepal is a place that will transform you if you let it. Amidst drop-dead gorgeous scenery and grinding poverty thrives a nation with a unique history and hopes for a bright future. Namaste. 

Sneha is a guest blogger at Shopping for a Change, and we really appreciate it! She continuously visits Nepal, a country she will always have a soft spot for. Revisiting Nepal has served as a part of her inspiration to become a medical student. Best of luck Sneha, we know she will be an amazing doctor. 


No comments:

Post a Comment